Theme: God’s Promises
Title: David Testimony
Text: Psalms 23:1-6
When I turn the radio, the news, or the internet, this pandemic or virus, you hear these words more constantly, fear, anxiety, unease, panic, even loneliness, yes loneliness
I read this quote this week as I’m was studying to speak for this morning “We’ve never been better connected than we are today. And we’ve never felt more alone.” With today’s technology, Tweeter, Facebook, Instagram, internet, social media, could it be that were better connected and still feel more alone than ever before?
New York Times reports a research showing that
Loneliness can be more deadlier to your health, for example
- smoking 15 cigarettes a day
- it is greater risk of cardiovascular disease, dementia, and anxiety
- also, in the research, in Britain, found out that about 200, 000 older people had not had a conversation with a friend or relative in more than a month
- university students report feeling very alone because they feel rejected or they don’t fit in
In his Word, God give us promises that we can rely on when in times of crises, when we need hope and comfort
- (Zephaniah 3:17) NLT 17 For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”
- (Matthew 28:20) 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
There are Scriptures in the Bible that are powerful, mighty, so deep, that are a blessing to read, like (Psalms 23) is one of them. It’s about king David’s testimony, his personal experience with God
(Psalm 23:1-6) NLT – A psalm of David
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
- King David uses the analogy of a sheep and their nature to describe us
- Sheep have a natural tendency to wander off and get lost as believers we tend to do the same thing
2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.
2. A Psalm of confidence in times of Crisis
King David really believe this about God, this is not a poetic exaggeration or imaginary theology. He writes his own experienced with God and are also God’s Promieses
- He heard God’s voice
- He felt God’s care
- He followed God’s guidance
- He had communion with God
- He felt God’s comfort
- He felt God’s goodness
- And, he God’s security
These are king David experiences in crisis with God
A. W. Tozer said this about a person
- “You can tell a person future, by his perception (understanding, interpretation) of God
- “Your perception of God determines everything about you”
- “What a person thought about God was the most important thing in Tozer’s thinking
3. King David tells us how to be fearless in adversity or crisis. How did king David do it?
He stayed in God’s presence
- (Hebrews 13:5-6) “For God has said, I will never fail you. I will never abandon you. So we can say with confidence. The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?
He saw God’s power
- (1 John 4:4) 4 But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.
One of God’s purpose in trial, or crisis, is to get the world’s attention off themselves and onto Him, their Creator and Savior
My friend our attention should be on our Creator, our God and on our Savior, Jesus Christ
King David in crisis, stayed in God’s presence
King David saw God’s power in crisis
King David lead God guide him in crisis
King David knew God