Theme: Spiritual Discipline
Title: Making Prayer a Priority (urgency, importance)
Text: (1Timothy 2:1-4) 1I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2 Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth.
- God has chosen his Christians to help Him through prayer, to change the world
- How? It’s only a mystery, but He has chosen us to pray for everyone
- God’s desire is salvation is extended equally to all people, kings, presidents, governors, all in authority
- That word “everyone” captures the nature of the gospel, the (Good News)
Introduction: Our Goal here on earth is to be like his Son, Jesus Christ
- (Romans 8:29) 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed (imitate, followed, obey) to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; (NASB)
1. Prayer is Expected
In the book of Matthew, in chapter 6, Jesus teaches his disciples several things, how to give, how to pray, how to fast, He continues to teach them about money and lastly, He teaches them not to worry
Jesus prayed and He would withdraw to desolated places, so one of his disciples came to him and said, “Lord, teaches us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” (Luke 11:1)
- (Luke 5:16) 16 But Jesus often (regularly) withdrew to the wilderness for prayer.
But about Prayer, He teaches them, that prayer is expected
- Matthew 6:5, “And when you pray, …”
- Matthew 6:6, “But when you pray, …”
- Matthew 6:7, “And when you pray, …”
- Matthew 6:9, “Pray then like this, …”
- Luke 11:9. “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking and the door will be opened to you.”
- Luke 18:1, “Jesus tells his disciples a story to show that they should always pray and never give up”
2. Prayer should be on daily bases
When we abandon prayer, is like fighting a battle with our own resources at best, there is a spiritual warfare between God’s kingdom and the kingdom of His Enemy (Satan)
(Colossians 4:2) 2 Continue (stay) earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving;
- 2 Devote (dedicate) yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.
(1 Thessalonians 5:17) 17 Pray without ceasing
- 17 Never stop praying.
Martin Luther said this about prayer, “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing”
- God expects us as Christians to pray. God still answer prayer
- Pray Constantly
- Pray in the Spirit
- Pray for our Leaders
- Pray for our Global church
- Pray for our God to be Glorified
- Pray for Healing
- And last, pray for God to hear the cries of His people, Amen!